CM 131 | Chair
Multi-layer wood chair
The original shells were made by the German manufacturer Pagholz, using a revolutionary technique created by the Flötotto brothers, which was borrowed from the aeronautical industry. It was made by moulding resinated beech multi-ply under very high pressure (the equivalent of 200 kg over the size of a postage stamp) and at high temperature (between 135° and 155°). This technique made it possible to produce a wooden shell in the desired shape, which was both flexible and as solid as plastic. In 2018, the shells used by Ligne Roset are again being produced by Pagholz, in the same way as they were 65 years ago and using the original moulds.
The characteristics of this material are still interesting today :
– Warm and pleasant to the touch,
– As hard as metal but soft and flexible and thus comfortable,
– Stable, strong and durable : withstands flexing, traction and shocks,
– Of low flammability, it is impervious to chemicals, easy to clean and easily disinfected,
– Resistant to UV and to variations in temperature, even extremes of temperature (- 40° à + 80),
– Retains its appearance and its warm dark brown-stained beech tones,
– May be recycled as a raw material for use in other pressed wood products.
Now as then, the CM 131 range offers not only a chair but also a bridge. Airily elegant, its suspended armrests in matching solid beech lend it a spidery lightness.
Quality of manufacture & comfort
Construction – Base in black lacquered round steel.
Tips – protective gliders.
Comfort – Ergonomic shell in moulded, pressed resinated beech multi-ply finished in a glossy dark brown stain. The material is warm and pleasant to the touch, soft and thus comfortable, yet resistant to flexing and shocks. Of low flammability, it is impervious to UV and temperature variations; it is also easy to clean. It may be recycled as a raw material for use in other pressed wood products.
The bridge has two solid beech armrests, stained to match the shell.
Chair – W 40 D 49 Back height 80 Seat height 45
Bridge – W 54 D 55 Back height 80 Seat height 46