In those areas characterized by seismic activity or hydro geological instability it is essential to monitor the impact that natural events (combined with the old structures and the usual poor quality of the materials used or with errors in design or execution of the works) may have on the existing buildings. Thanks to the structural monitoring systems it is possible to keep constantly under control the state of the buildings that have been affected by instability phenomena, in order t
- avoid irreparable damage or structural collapses
- monitor the progress of the instability phenomena
- manage the automatic alarm signals, due to the threshold's exceeding
- assess the safety interventions to be quickly implemented
- plan the restructuring interventions and assess their effectiveness on the structure during the time.
The monitoring methodology to be applied is chosen according to the type of instability occured and it can be static, dynamic or both of them. The analysis of the structural elements affected by the phenomena of displacement, damage or breakage (more or less important) provides instructions on the type of sensors to be used and on the monitoring methodology to be applied to the specific case in analysis.