LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN By Vitra
Swivel leather armchair with 5-spoke base with armrests
LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN (classic version) - For the classic version of the Eames Lounge Chair, there are a variety of options to choose from: various types of wood for the shells, a selection of leather grades and colours, and several surface finishes for the base. If the Lounge Chair is ordered together with the Ottoman, the grain on the wooden shells of both pieces will be matched during the production process; this is not possible if they are ordered separately.
- Seat and back: moulded plywood, different face veneers.
Classic version in American cherry (USA), santos palisander (Brazil; certifi ed sustainability) or black-pigmented walnut (USA).
- Upholstery/Cover: removable cushion units, covers in leather.
- Seat height: 380 mm (250 mm with applied load, measured in accordance with EN 1335-1).
- Armrests: upholstered in leather, attached to the seat and back shells with shock mounts (bonded rubber and metal connectors).
- Base: five-star swivel base or four-star nonswivel base (Ottoman). Both base and back braces in die-cast aluminium.
Glides: all bases fitted with hard glides for carpet; felt glides optionally available for hard floors.
‚Why don‘t we make an updated version of the old English club chair?‘ With this comment, Charles Eames initiated the development of the Lounge Chair, a process that took several years.The aim was to satisfy the desire for an amply proportioned chair that combined ultimate comfort with the highest quality materials and craftsmanship. When it came out in 1956, the design of this armchair by Charles and Ray Eames set new standards: it is not only lighter, more elegant and more modern than the conventionally ponderous club chair – it is also more comfortable. Thanks to these qualities, the Lounge Chair became one of the most famous designs of Charles and Ray Eames and has attained the status of a classic in the history of modern furniture.